Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A PIECE OF MY HEART...totally revealing

Have you ever had one of those days? You know, the kind that is just horrible, terrible and just down-right bad! The kind of day that starts out bad and instantly goes downhill.

Everything goes wrong:  the alarm did not go off, you are late for work, you forgot your important sales presentation at home, your credit card is denied at the restuarant for lunch, the school calls and your son just vomited, your car blows a tire on the way to get Johnny from school, upon arrival at home - you discover you forgot to pay the utility bill and your lights have been shut off, the dog chewed up your favorite pillow shipped from Korea, and your husband calls and says he just got layed off.

Well, as bad as that may sound, In the Bible, Job could easily win in a "bad day" contest. No question! In a single day, Job lost all of his wealth, his house collapsed and fell on his children, killing all ten of them. And to top that off, Job had painful sores all over his body.

Falling to hard times can certainly be revealing about a persons character. When hardship hit her family, Job's wife did not respond very well. She totally lost sight of God, she was overwhelmed by the pain and she simply revealed what I would say was wimpy faith.

JOB 2:9,10 "[Job's] wife said to him, 'Are you still holding on to your integrity? Curse God and die!' He replied, 'You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?' In all this, Job did not sin in what he said."

Job had a different kind of reaction to the same set of circumstances. He responded with integrity. He chose to trust God in the hard times just as he did the good times. God had not changed, only Job's circumstances.

What about you? In times of trouble, are you more like Job or Job's wife? Will your character remain the same as it was in the good times?

No matter what your circumstances, remember God remains the same. May our character and integrity totally reveal our faith in the good and the bad!

and that is a piece of my heart today;

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Well, it is what I strive for anyway. To respond as He would want me to. I wish it would always be my first one, but unfornately I do find myself sometimes taking the long route to get there. But I guess the point is, I do get there! Have a good day Laurie..

emptynest4two said...

I think I do trust with with the bigger things, but the small things, I try to handle myself, when I should trust him and go to Him with EVERYTHING! Thank you for the reminder.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I could have written this post....A night of blog hopping....Hope you will stop by and visit me....Enjoyed reading your blog tonight...

Teresa
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/