Wednesday, September 11, 2013

THANKFUL THURSDAY...Freedom and Faith

As I think about this weeks THANKFUL THURSDAY, I would be greatly amiss if I did not reflect on what this week in history represents.

FREEDOM and FAITH.

September 11, 2001 marks in history how America changed, forever. Until this date, we only read of such attacks in other countries. For us here in the US, we never really lived such fear, such terror. It was the day that a foreign enemy entered our homeland and attacked from within, shattering the confidence of many residents and destroying the lives of countless people.

I, like you, will always remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard of the twin towers being attacked. Honestly, as I drove down the highway and heard the report over the radio, I literally had to pull over to listen more intently. I was in complete shock of what I was hearing.

After shock, I felt fear. My mind racing to remember the phone number to my children's school. Even though terror hit miles and miles away, I had to be reassured that my babies were safe.

Safe? Would we ever be able to feel safe again in our country? After all, there had been a breach in security. Who would have thought that an opposing country would even consider coming against such a great country. But they did. And they caught us off guard.

So many lives lost that day. Such a tragedy. I often think of those families. But I also think about the men who were involved. These men did not consider themselves terrorists, sadly, they were simply following their god and standing firm in what they considered their belief.

Although their act is heinous, one cannot help but consider their commitment. They were willing to die for their faith, even though radically wrong. It seemed like the enemy had won that day, but I do not believe the enemy can win the war.

I would like to challenge each of you to always remember the sacrifice. Not only the sacrifice of those who gave their lives that day, but I would also like to challenge you to remember the sacrifice that these terrorists were willing to give ... they gave their lives for a cause that they firmly believed in.

Makes me wonder...would we give our lives for what we believe in?

I know that Jesus gave His life for what and who He believed in. Now that is a sacrifice none of us can ever forget.

Today, I give God my utmost thanks for His sacrifice, and I give the men, women and children who lost their lives at the hand of evil on 9/11 my utmost remembrance and praise.



 
Galatians 5:22-23 (NLT)
But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!


May we always hold onto what we believe and be willing to stand upon our faith, no matter the cost.

What are you thankful for today? Please join your grateful heart with ours by linking up below.

3 comments:

Meg said...

Hello, I linked up with your Thankful Thursday post :) What a great way to refocus on what truly matters!

Tiff said...

Excellent food for thought. I, too, have often wondered what those men were really like, and if they would not rather had stayed at home instead.

May my heart be always ready for such sacrifice, if the Lord ever demands it of me.

Thanks for hosting!

Nana Jul said...

We still have a faithful God!
That is what I am very thankful for today!
Great thoughts.
Thank you for hosting!
Julie