Wednesday, January 26, 2011

WEDNESDAY WEEKLY WORD...time is ticking away

I wonder how many you are like me when it comes to time management. Truth of it is, most of my clocks are set at least 5 minutes ahead, just to insure I will be on time. The problem with that is, it sometimes backfires on me, because I tell myself, "I still have five more minutes!"

Time management is nothing more than moving hurriedly through my hectic day, marking off the things that I accomplish for the day. Usually there are one or two items on my "to do" list that just didn't get "gotten to!" Many times at the end of the day, I fall into bed, looking at the crumpled up piece of paper, thinking to myself, "Well done you busy bee! Look at all that you got accomplished today!"

Getting things done is a huge accomplishment.
 A feeling of gratification. A load that is lifted. But what about those items that did not get crossed off of the "to do" list? Did I run out of time, or was it just not important enough to prioritize? I think sometimes we get off track with what the important things are.

Let's look at a routine "to do" list of mine:

1. pay the utility bill
2. pick up the dry cleaning
3. buy stamps at the post office
4. call to make a dental appointment
5. call my friend who is going thru a hard time
6. catch up on my daily bible reading
7. bake cookies for school

I am like most of you, I tackle the easiest and least time needed task first. Therefore, I would start at the top of the list and make all of the stops around town that I needed to make. Pay bills, go to the post office, pick up dry cleaning, etc. When it comes to calling a friend or reading the Bible, well I probably would skip over those for now because later I would probably have more time to dedicate to those things.

Here lies the problem, those things that I put off to "later", usually are the very things that are the most important and the very things that go undone by the end of the day. Because you and I both know that "later" comes with a whole lot of disruptions and unplanned circumstances, like a child coming home from school sick, the dog gets run over by a car, the husband calls and says "I forgot about the business dinner tonight that you and I are suppose to be at...its really important! Can you get a sitter and be ready at 5:00 pm?" So much for time management and forget the "to do" list now!!

In last week's YOUR OPINION MATTERS POLL, I polled the readers the following question: "What is the hardest thing to find time to do?" The top 3 responses were...

1. 50% said it is hard to find time to enjoy a hobby.
2. 33% voted and said it is hard to find time to read the Bible.
3. Another 33% responded and said finding time to exercise is hard.

Here's the thing about time. Each of us get the same 24 hours. No more. No less. Each hour is divided into 60 minutes or 3600 seconds. The only difference in the time allotted us is what we do with our 24 hours. Someone may get more use out of their daily allotted time, but they do not get any more time than anyone else. The key to time management is mastering our time.

As a Christian, time management is all about listening and following God's plan. As we do this, we not only master our time, but we will master our life and not let life master us.

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." - Apostle Paul (Ephesians 5:15,16)

I wonder what kind of accomplishments I could have if I sought out after what God would have me do with my daily time? Certainly the bills need to be paid, but what about that friend on our list that we need to call? I know that my husband needs me, but how much better can I respond to him if I have spent time in God's Word?

Even as I write this, time is ticking away, may today belong to God and may He give me the strength and the insight to accomplish all that He has for me to do today. Tomorrow may not come, if today is all I have, may I use the time He has given me wisely!

Tick, tock...tick, tock, how will you spend your time today?


1 comment:

Pamela said...

Such a good post for me to read today. My word for the year is Time. I want my time to be used on things important to God: Family, church and friends are at the top of the list. I'm asking God when to say yes and when to say no. Then doing my best to polish up that no!