Thursday, December 9, 2010

THANKFUL THURSDAY...when praise becomes sacrifice

This past week my heart was broken when I sat and talked with an elderly man in my church.
Last year he lost his lovely wife to cancer, and as we spoke about the Christmas season, his eyes welled up with tears and he said to me, "I am so home sick!, I just want to see Jesus and my Ruby!"

I always stand in awe when I talk with this wonderful man of God, even though his heart is hurting, he ALWAYS has a praise on his lips for His God. I need to become more like him, because sometimes it is a real sacrifice for me to praise God. Sometimes, I am tired and feeling down and when things are going haywire in my life, it is difficult to give praise and glory for my gloom, doom and despair.

But the Bible is filled with scriptures that encourage us to give glory and thanks and praise to God! One of my favorite ones is this one:

PSALM 106:1 "Praise the Lord! Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His  mercy endures forever."

This verse does not say to give thanks to God when we feel good, rather, it says to give thanks because He is good! My attitude and circumstances do not dictate my praise...He is worthy of praise no matter what state I am in!

I read in the gospel of Luke this week about the ten men who were miraculously touched by Jesus. These men were inflicted with leprosy, so they were outcasts from society, but, Jesus went out of His way to touch them and heal them. All ten were healed, however only one returned to give thanks and praise to God. Jesus asked this, "Were there not any found who returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?" (Luke 17:18)

In many ways, I think He is still asking that same question today.

Today, on Thankful Thursday, I choose to give Him praise! I do not want to be like the other 9 lepers who walked away with an ungrateful heart. What are you thankful for today? Go ahead, stop what you are doing right now and give Him praise for it!

Iris is hosting TT this week...link up HERE!

6 comments:

gemini said...

Your presence that day made this man see the light of the Lord. The simple act of listening is a gift we can always share. God bless and more power.

tammi said...

There is always SO much to be thankful for, I'm discovering, even when life doesn't seem to be going the way I want it to. That story is always such a good reminder, too. Thanks!!

Ribbons -n- Rags said...

I just found your wonderful blog. I recently aswered God's calling to become a motivational and inspirational speaker. Along with this, I opened a blog to reach out to as many people as possible. I invite you to visit my blog as I establish God's work through me. You are a lovely person and may God bless you for your service to Him. Michelle Eastham

Ribbons -n- Rags said...

PS My blog address is www.heartstrings4him.blogpsot.com

Michelle Eastham

Michele Williams said...

You blessed that old man that day by listening to him. Many times they just need someone to listen to them. God bless you...

Tiff said...

I am right there with you, Laurie. In that place where I am praising God because He is good, not because I feel like it.

Still, I have noticed that when I choose praise, the feelings tend to come as well.

((hugs)) and God bless!