Monday, November 3, 2008

AT THE WELL..no regrets

Today we are gathered around the WELL to discuss life changing topics again. We join SUNNY, who is leading us in this week's topic:

Preparing a God-honoring Schedule with No Regrets

She poses to us these thought provoking questions to consider...

  • Have you ever planned your day, week or month, then regretted making the commitments you’ve made, wondering if your plan was the right one?

  • Have you ever wondered if you should’ve said “yes” to one person and “no” to another and just weren’t sure what the best thing to do was?

  • Who or what does your schedule represent? Does it represent you, your affinities, or your love for Christ?

This week we are discussing schedules. Do I have one or not? Do I even need one?

I am a detail oriented person, so you know that without schedules and without lists - I would not be able to function well!

Lists are important to have. Grocery lists, honey-do lists, ...they serve as reminders. They serve as check off points to be sure we have not forgotten anything. I operate on lists!

If you are a "list" kind of girl, than most likely you maintain a schedule as well. A schedule is nothing more than "time management." Keeping to your schedule may reveal how good you are at managing your time.

I like to think that I am a good "time manager" but if the truth was told....at times I can get off track. I lose my way and "time" has a way of getting away from me.

Having a schedule reminds me of when my children were babies. After a while it was important to put those babies on a schedule. If I didn't - they would sleep during the day and be awake a night. They would eat on the hour - every hour! For the sake of the baby and for the sanity of the new parents...a schedule was imperative.

In the same sense, a schedule for Christians is also imperative. Too many times, as Christians, we remain babes. We are still nursing on the milk instead of feasting on the meat of the Word. Christian growth will take place when we grow in the Lord and grow in His Word. However, one thing that keeps us from growing is not taking time for God. Oh sure we mean well, but face it, things come up, stuff happens and before we know it God is pushed out of our daily plan...

  • the phone rings
  • the kids are sick
  • you woke up late
  • you have an early morning meeting

As important as it is for a parent to put their infant on a schedule - the same is true for our Heavenly Father putting His Children on a schedule. Growth begins to happen spiritually when we schedule ourselves time with Him, time to sit at His feet, time in His presence, time in His Word, Time worshipping Him.

Like so many things, schedules have the tendency to get off track. Things come up like the distractions I mentioned above. The key thing to keeping schedules is realizing that flexibility is needed.

A parent could not ignore a wailing child that woke in the middle of the night. This may not be the scheduled time to be awake but tending to the needs of their child is the most important thing. A parent has to be flexible.

Spiritually, spending time with God is the MOST important thing in our daily life. If you do not have time carved out in your schedule for Him, it will be difficult to wean ourselves from the milk to the meat. It will cause us to remain babes in our faith.

HEBREWS 5:13,14 "For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. (14) But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil."

Sunny has asked me...

Have I ever regretted making a commitment...Oh yes (and probably will again!)

Have I ever said "Yes" to the wrong person... Oh yes (and probably will again!)

Does my schedule reflect me instead of Christ?...Oh yes (and probably will again!)

HAVE NO REGRETS...A baby doesn't stay a baby forever....likewise, God does not want us to stay the same way He found us. Go ahead, schedule time with Him right now - you will not regret it!

IS GOD IN YOUR DAILY SCHEDULE OF THINGS TO-DO?

Is He first or last on your list? Is He even on your list.

WON'T YOU MAKE TIME FOR GOD TODAY?

CLICK HERE to view Sunny's thoughts on this topic and check out all the other AT THE WELL contributors.

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good Stuff! BTW: I loved your 7 facts about yourself. I have lost my sense of smell too...at least 90% of it...what's up with that! I don't drink coffee either.

Happy Birthday in advance...what day? So, I can mark my calendar.

Love you too, Laurie!!!

LauraLee Shaw said...

Yes, I love the analogy of the baby on a schedule. I can relate to that. Your insights are perceptive and honest. Always love meeting you at the well.

Unknown said...

Laurie,
Great wisdom today. Love the baby analogy too - I can so relate to that. Thanks for joining us today!

Joyfull said...

Great post! The baby analogy brought out great points related to our Christian walk. Thanks for sharing.

Sunny Shell said...

I'm going to have to hop on the "love the baby analogy" bandwagon! HA!

I LOVE it! Yes, babies need schedules, but they also need us to be compassionate and understanding when there are "surprises". We need to be flexible and consider the Lord in all things FIRST and foremost! :-)

Thank you so much for sharing At The Well today!

Bless you dear sister,
Sunny

Laurie Ann said...

I loved how you mentioned that carving out time for God is key. It's imperative that we do that in our scheduling. Great post, Laurie! A hearty Amen to the inspiration and encouragement found here.

Blessed Among Women said...

Great stuff! I like the comparing of the Christians not staying babies. I need to get better at keeping my schedules,but boy it's hard,I'm learning all over how too with an infant. God Bless!

momstheword said...

I also loved the baby comment. Which of us would remain babies if we could? We need the meat of God's word to help us grow, we need the bone-building strengthening of difficulties so we can grow strong in our walk with the Lord, instead of remaining weak and only able to crawl. It was a pleasure "meeting" you today.

Jennifer said...

Love the baby analogy! You and I know all too well just how fast they grow up...our nest will be empty 1 year apart. I have to admit that as much of a perfectionist I have been since I was 18 and my 1st marriage...I wish I had been a little more relaxed and spent more time (doing all the extras) with my kids. Not saying as much...just a minute, not now...I have to do this or do that. I have come to realize that they grown up too fast, life is too short and it will all still be here when I am finished spending time with my family or when my nest is empty. I finally got my priorities straight.