Tuesday, July 22, 2008

NEGOTIATION...a piece of my heart

This week I am on vacation with my family. We left early Sunday morning and drove for a very long 13 hour drive until we reached our destination ....WISCONSIN. My son who will be leaving soon to serve our country over in Korea wanted to spend some time with family that lives here in Green Bay.

If any of you are football fans, especially if you are Green Bay Packer football fans, you know that right now is a very sad and controversial time for the Packer fans. If you have not lived in a town that supports a NFL team, then you can not imagine what it is like around this town of Green Bay. Literally, the fans take football issues very seriously!

Tomorrow we are taking the kids to tour the Lambeau field and visit the Green Bay Packer Hall of Fame. Our 12 year old daughter has one goal in mind...to see ANYTHING of Brett Favre's! Of course the controversy in this town right now is surrounded around this great football quarterback and that #4 jersey. My daughter doesn't really care about all of that ...she just wants to get close to something that Brett Favre has worn, thrown, touched or signed!

So what's the controversy? Are you kidding...guess you haven't been in Green Bay lately if you ask that. Brett Favre who retired last year now wants to get back in the game but wants the Green Bay Packers (who made him what he is) to release him of his contract. The Green Bay Packers have a problem with doing that.

All of this talk about Favre being committed (or lack of) to this town, to this team, reminds me of how sometimes we put people, such as professional sports figures or politicians up on a pedestal. And when they fall off the pedestal we have put them on or when they choose a different direction we turn our back on them and find ourselves so shocked that they are not as committed as you once thought they were.

This trust that we put in others is so easily broken. The only one that I have found I can totally, completely put my trust in is Jesus Christ. He will not retire. He will not choose a different team. He will not tear up our contract. He will always be what He says He will be. He is our everything!

Brett may or may not come back to the football game.
He may or may not play for the Green Bay Packers again.
He may choose to play for another team.
When it comes to God's team, I am so glad that He chose me to be one His most valued players!

1 PETER 2:9
"but you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation. His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light."

You might find yourself negotiating for a lot
of different things...however....
God's LOVE, FORGIVENESS and GRACE is non -negotiable.
Wont' you accept it?
and that's a piece of my heart today;

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Hi, Laurie. My name is Teresa, and I found your wonderful blog through Deborah, at Coffee and Chocolate.

Before I go any further, I want to tell you that my son~in~law is in Iraq, right now doing his second tour there. I am leaving to walk my dog right after I send this comment to you. That walk is spent praying and your son (don’t know his name, but God does) will be a significant part of that prayer time, as will you and your family. What a blessing to get that vacation in with him.

I am a Green Bay Packers fan. And, I have really enjoyed Brett Favre's playing. He has been amazing. I'd love for him to come back and play for, Green Bay. If he can't do that, then I hope Green Bay, will release him to play elsewhere. I do get rather invested in the game and the Packers, once the season starts. But!! you are so absolutely right. We must keep our eyes on the ball...Isaiah 26:3. pun not intended. Jesus, is our all in all and never leaves or forsakes us. I know that I know that. It is the absolute (along with the great salvation I have received) in my life. It was good to get that little boost of Word and encouragement this morning. Thanks!