Friday, March 18, 2016

TODAY'S DAILY...who's footprints are you following?

When I was a child, I would make a game out of taking walks. My brothers were much older and their strides were always bigger than mine. To keep up I would try to place my foot right into their footprint left in the sand.

Sometimes it was difficult and I would have to stretch myself to reach the bigger step ahead of me.

This image reminds me of how we often try to take steps that we aren't ready for. Instead of taking the stride pace that God has for us, we try to keep up with the guy ahead of us.

“When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, ‘What are you doing here, Elijah?'” 1 Kings 19:13 (NIV)

Throughout time, God has been asking the same question to His children. "What are you doing here?"

This question for Elijah was not for God’s benefit and certainly not for His information because God already knew the answer before He even whispered the question.

God had simply designed the question in order to help Elijah come to grips with what he was going to do.

He is doing the same for you and me. He is asking each of us "What are you doing here, (insert your name)?"

This question not only helps me to consider where I am but it challenges me to see where I'm going. Like when I was young; even now my steps may seem unsure or even too short. However, with God leading me I can be assured that each step I take is leading me to where He needs me to go.

Next time you see a footprint in the sand, thank God for the steps He has given you and recognize that stepping ahead of His plan may trip you up in your walk.

PRAYER: Help me recognize Your trustworthy character and trust that You have my best interests in mind. Give me the strength and courage to take the first step toward what You want me to do. AMEN

I hope you prayed that with me today and that each step you take will keep you in-step with where God wants you to be.





No comments: