Wednesday, March 23, 2016

LACED WITH GRACE...TALK ABOUT REPENTANCE

I shared the following devotion over at Laced With Grace today:


In most circle of friends, the topic of repentance isn’t probably one of the most popular topics at hand. In fact, even among Christian friendships, talking about sin is not often heard of even though we live in a sinful world.

Why is repentance not talked about?

Partly, I think we avoid this topic because we don’t want to offend others, but are we more concerned with how we might offend others or with offending God? How long will we accept sin as the norm?

I don’t think today is any different than yesterday when it comes to the discussion of repentance. All throughout the Bible, people were called to repentance; God, Jesus, Paul, even the Prophets all were involved in communicating to others the importance of repenting. Repentance for the record is more than just believing in God, repentance is making a decision for Christ and turning from our old ways.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9)
God desires for all of us to reach repentance. He is not slow. He does not delay. He is patient towards all of us and shows His mercy as we all fall down daily. Sin is not something to take lightly. Not my sin and not yours.

We, as Believers, must also be patient. It is never our position to condemn, but yet, to love and ask the Holy Spirit to direct our conversations. There is a fine line between pouring it on too thick and sweeping things under the rug. God is awakening my spirit to see the importance of talking about repentance. No longer can we stay silent. People are dying in their sin and they don’t know it!

As we come near Easter weekend, I just want to challenge you to reflect on what repentance looks like to you… and if the blood on the cross is something you care to talk about?

PRAYER: Dear Lord, help me to not stay silent when it comes to allowing the sinful nature of this world to pass by me. May You quicken in me the times I need to speak up against sin. Lead me and all my brothers and sisters to You in true repentance. Change our hearts Oh God. Change our world Oh God! AMEN

No comments: