Tuesday, January 29, 2013

STOP being a pack rat christian!

I never thought I would find myself saying this but...
 we are pack rats!

How in the world in 20 years have we accumulated what we have?

We are in the process of moving out of our home and into the parsonage house near the church we are pastoring. With every closet and every nook and cranny that I look, I uncover so much clutter. I cannot understand why we must hang onto some of this stuff.

This past weekend while clearing out my husbands office, I uncovered not one pair of reading glasses but 6! Seriously? He can only wear one pair at a time!

As I continue to plow my way thru the piles, I am finding out that there is a huge difference between clutter and treasure. Sometimes, I wonder if I recognize the difference? Not just in my physical closets, but my spiritual closet as well.

Often times, we can become "pack rat Christians", instead of focusing on the treasures of the heart, we focus on the clutter.

“The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7b)

I  would dare say say that God isn't too concerned with what is in my closet, which clothes I wear and how many pairs of shoes I have that don't fit any longer. His concern is not with our physical clutter, rather, the clutter that creeps in our heart...

Bad habits, bitterness, unforgiveneness, lack of obedience, anger, fear, and such things that can crowd God out of our heart.

Perhaps, during this house cleaning that I am in the midst of, I might need to stop, reflect and do alittle spiritual house cleaning. There is great satisfaction of cleaning out a closet, but even more so, such great joy in cleaning up our heart.

Is it time for some de-cluttering in your heart? May we not be "pack rat Christians" any longer.

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God." -Matthew 5:8
 

No comments: