Saturday, January 5, 2013

Check your attitude at the door

When it comes to having an attitude, I'm sure we all think about teenagers. But honestly, I think our teens get a bad wrap about being the ones with bad attitudes. As a mother, I have been having the "talk" with my kids for the past 30 years about checking their attitude. But if I could be honest and transparent, I would have to admit that I too, have an attitude sometimes.

Anytime we feel mistreated, or lied to, or cheated, or done wrongly in any form or fashion, we feel we have the "right" to cop an attitude. But we don't. Two wrongs does not make a right.

Just as it pleases me as a parent when my children have the right attitude, even more so, does it please our heavenly Father when our attitudes are positive.

John Maxwell writes, "Great leaders understand that the right attitude will set the right atmosphere, which enables the right response from others."

So, in other words, our attitude is not contingent upon others. Rather, what kind of attitude or tone we use is entirely up to us. We set the tone. But to be honest with you, without the Holy Spirit leading us and guiding us and pruning us, our attitude will continue to be bad to the bone.

God has called us all to be leaders. Whether at home, school, work or church, our attitude can make or break us (and those we lead)...so, whether you are young or old, check your attitude at the door. Before going out and before coming in...set the right atmosphere by having a godly attitude.

1 Peter 5:2 "Shepherd God's flock, for whom you are responsible. Watch over them because you want to, not because you are forced. That is how God wants it. Do it because you are happy to serve." (NCV)