Monday, January 2, 2012

The good, the bad and the ugly habits!

It is said that it takes just 21 days to break a bad habit. That's right, in just 3 weeks you can break those nasty things in your life that have become routine and compulsive! Of course, the first step to this 21 day recovery is acknowledging that something in your life needs to be dealt with.

Most of us think of only the bad and ugly things when we hear the word "habit" mentioned. But I am here to tell you that it isn't just the smoking, drinking and cursing that become bad habits that need to be rectified. Even though, these are just some of the habits that can be harmful to us, there are some habits that seemingly look less harmful but yet they are what they are....a BAD habit!

For instance, when I was younger I had a nasty, nasty habit. I bit my nails. For years, I tried to stop this nasty habit. I know what you are thinking... when lined up against smoking, it may not seem quite as bad but simply stated, IT was a bad habit! It was terrible for my teeth to be chewing on my nails all of the time. Not to mention, for a young lady, it just was plain unattractive.

Habits aren't just bad and ugly, some habits are actually good. I know that sounds like a oxy moron, how can a habit be good? Some things may seem ok to do. For one person, keeping clothes laying on the floor may seem ok, but to someone else, perhaps someone with alittle bit of ocd in them, the habit of not picking up clothes is not ok! So in this case, who is the one with the nasty habit? The one who doesn't pick up or the one who is overly ocd about it?

We struggle with this in our family. I am ocd. My family is not. So who has the habit that needs to be worked on? I would suggest we all do. In order to change, we need to identify what needs to be changed. Just because something fits comfortably in our routine, does not make it right or even necessary. Even good things can become bad habits. Washing your hair daily is a good thing. However, if you have a habit to wash your hair 4, 5 or 6 times a day...that becomes a problem. It won't take long at all for your hair to become dry, brittle and maybe fall out.

Everything in life is subject to become ritual or mundane or just merely a habit, even our worship. In Isaiah, God expresses His great disdain for meaningless worship...

What makes you think I want all your sacrifices?” says the Lord. “I am sick of your burnt offerings of rams and the fat of fattened cattle. I get no pleasure from the blood of bulls and lambs and goats. When you come to worship me, who asked you to parade through my courts with all your ceremony? Stop bringing me your meaningless gifts; the incense of your offerings disgusts me! (Isaiah 1:11-15) NLT

I don't know how...but God's people had missed the point of meaningful worship. They were caught up in the act of religion and missing out on the relationship. You cannot just follow a model of worship without ever entering into the presence of God. God desires a face-to-face encounter with His children. Not just then, but now too. But we must be willing to make worship a habit.

Bad habits can be broken and good habits can be formed. It just takes 21 days. Worship is more than just what we do every Sunday at 10:45 am. Worship is an attitude of our heart. When we form the habit of praise and worship, it will be part of our relationship with Him.

In the new year, it is my desire to form some healthy habits while removing some that are not so healthy. May these first 21 days of January have purpose and meaning ....and become habit forming, in a healthy, spiritual, God driven kind of a way!

1 comment: