Thursday, December 10, 2009

THANKFUL THURSDAY ... the Gift of Protection


As I have been shopping and getting into the Christmas spirit around our house, I can't help but to think about the families that will be apart yet another Christmas season. This time last year, my heart was heavy as one of my sons was not with us for Christmas, he was serving our country overseas and for the first time in 26 years our family spent the holidays away from each other.

There are many families similiar to mine, who will spend yet another Christmas apart. Children, spouses, brothers, sisters, parents ...spending Christmas morning apart because our world is under fire. Our soldiers are sacrificing so much so that we can be safe and secure in our country.

I am so thankful this Christmas season not only for their protection over us, but also for the protection that God gives us against the enemy and the strongholds that come our way. God's weapons are potent, and His stronghold is secure! But, it does us no good if we do not know WHAT His weapons are or HOW to use them. Truth is totally useless to us unless we have learned what Truth is and memorized it and learned to rely upon it in the heat of the battle.

PROVERBS 18:10 "God's name is  place of protection - good people can run there and be safe." (MSG)

Dear Lord: Thank you for your protection and for the reassurance that I can run to you and feel your safe, loving arms around me in the midst of my battles. Thank you for the men and the women who are protecting our country ...protect them, bless them and keep them while they are away from their loved ones. Help me to remember not only the great sacrifice that these soldiers are giving for me each day, but help me to never, ever forget the greatest sacrifice ever - Your son, Jesus Christ. AMEN

Please join your grateful heart with ours today and link up your THANKFUL THURSDAY post below in Mr. Linky! Happy TT!


18 comments:

It Feels Like Chaos said...

What a beautiful reminder!

debi9kids said...

Amen!
Please thank your son for his service from the Bouffard family.
Blessings to you & yours this holiday season.

Denise said...

Such a nice thankful post sweetie.

Unknown said...

I too am thankful for the protection that the Lord has over us. I am glad that your family can be together this year. Thank you for a wondeful post and have a blessed week!

Debbie Petras said...

Yes Laurie how thankful I am for the gift of God's protection. It is reassuring in a life that seems uncertain day to day. But then I remember who is in control and I can rest in Him.

Thank you for hosting TT this month.

Blessings,
Debbie

aspiritofsimplicity said...

My son will probably not be with us this Christmas as he is in the Coast Guard. This will be the first Christmas that we will not all be together. It's hard.

LivingforGod said...

Thank you for hosting Thankful Thursday once again! Have a blessed day in the Lord!

Janet Benlien Reeves said...

Thank you, Laurie!

Debbie said...

Such an important reminder. And the gift of His protection just doesn't get any better. Have a wonderful day.

Blessings, Debbie

Marsha said...

Thank you, Laurie for this awesome reminder of an area we can be thankful for.

Blessings to you and your family.

Melanie said...

Love this post... it is so easy to get so caught up in our own lives and our own "stuff" that we fail to remember those overseas that are fighting (and their families) so that we can continue to have these freedoms. Thank you for a beautiful post, Laurie!

Happy Thankful Thursday!

Apron Senorita said...

Thank you so much for sharing your words of wisdom. God is my protection and I make sure that my kids feel the same way.

Blessings to you!
Yoli :)

Raise Them Up said...

So very well said. Thank you for the reminder!

Tammy said...

Thank God for those willing to sacrifice so much for our protection. Great post.

Donetta said...

Now that topic is just amazing! you just gotta see what I had to deal with today. Two hours in the principles office defending my kids!

Wendy said...

Laurie,
I am grateful for people like your son who are fighting to protect our country. Thanks for the reminder to pray for those who will be apart from their loved ones this Christmas.
Wendy

bp said...

I often think of our service men and women and how they must feel during this time.

Thanks for a nice post. Hope you've had a great day.

i said...

Laurie, what a great post! It came at the right time as I've just shared about God's protection too this week.

God bless you!