Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Laced with Grace....Under the wrapping

Today I shared the following devotion with the readers of LACED WITH GRACE. Www.lacedwithgrace.com Have you ever considered that the wrapping paper has purpose?


Pretty wrapping paper. Bright Bows. Rolls of shiny ribbon. It is gift wrapping time!

I love receiving beautifully wrapped gifts. And I have received many beautiful ones over the years, but of all of the wonderful gifts that I have received, I have never saved the wrapping paper instead of the gift. Oh, I know some people who open their gift ever so carefully and fold the ribbon and paper up to save for later, but I for one have not done that. In my mind, the one thing that stands between me and my gift is the paper!

Even though I cannot wait to rip open the gift wrapping to get to what is inside, it isn’t always like that as a Christian. As a believer, we can find ourselves focused more on the gift wrapping than the actual gift. Sometimes the best gifts spiritually aren’t found in the prettiest wrapping.

God uses trials and difficulties in our lives as the wrapping to things that we otherwise may not see or appreciate. If we never got sick, we may not appreciate the gift of His healing. If we never fell on financial hard times, we may never recognize God’s provision. It is through each trial that I have seen how important the wrapping can be, even when it isn’t very eye appealing. Nobody wants to hurt, or be disappointed or struggle in life, but sometimes we have to rip off the outer wrapping to get to the good stuff underneath.

“The Lord wraps Himself in light as with a garment, He stretches out the heavens like a tent.” -Psalm 104:2

No matter the season you find yourself in, don’t forget that the wrapping is only the beginning of the good gifts that God has in store for you.

No comments: