Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Bitterness is bad

I saw a sign on the wall at a restaurant that read, "He who speaks evil of a absent man or a woman is not welcome at this table." Wow...that would end alot of conversations, wouldn't it?

The Bible tells us to get rid of such talk not only at the table, but everywhere we go. (that includes social networking!)

"Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words and slander, as well as all types of evil behaviour. Instead, be kind to one another, tenderhearted, and forgiving one another. Just as God has forgiven us." EPHESIANS 4:31, 32

Bitterness is a resentful and embittered spirit that refuses to be reconciled, such a spirit grieves the Holy Spirit. But some people just enjoy conflict. They like to be mad, they enjoy arguing and disagreeing with others. Some people thrive to go from conflict to conflict.

 Do you know someone like this?

They stay mad about something or at someone. They have one person whom they nitpick about at all times, always trying to uncover things in their lives.

Such nitpicking should be considered a crime. Because this kind of negative talk and behaviour is like a robber, stealing dignity and character not only of the one being talked about but dignity and character is lost from the one filled with such bitterness.

I have found that the very one who has the need to point out the flaws in others are just trying to cover up the flaws or mistakes in their own life. The most critical people are oftentimes just as guilty, if not more.

Bitterness is bad. Very bad. If you allow it to go unchecked in your life, it will turn into a cancerous growth. First attacking you, then all those around you. Before it gets that far, go ahead and cut it out of your life. Ask God to help you and I guarantee He will turn the negative into positive. He will fill your heart with joy, love and forgiveness.

PRAYER: Dear God, I admit I have harbored bitterness in my heart and I am so sorry for grieving You over it. Please help me today to remove the negative thoughts and negative words. Fill my heart with love, joy and forgiveness for those that rub me wrong or who have done me wrong. May Your Joy be my strength! Create in me a clean heart O' Lord! AMEN

Bitterness is bad but it doesn't have to resonate in our hearts any longer. Pray the above prayer with me and give it to God today.

No comments: